Saturday, June 11, 2016

Busy, crazy, awesome day

Where to begin?

First off, I went out to a Xerox place to get copies of all of my documents to give to KMC certifying that I am an American studying nutrition at Appstate.  I needed no such documents for Siva Sakthi Nursing Home because they just let things fly there.   I will need these Monday when I start observation at a large hospital with full time dietitians!!

The market







We also hit the markets this morning, and it was so overwhelming and busy that I got sideswiped by a scooter! I am totally fine, but it was hard to focus.  I must say that it is a design flaw to have super busy shops and narrow roads with people driving scooters and taxis through.  Although, I am sure people threw this market together decades, if not centuries, ago before vehicles existed and just kept it this way ever since.  Anyways, the shops were awesome!  I was able to purchase so many gifts for the folks back home, and at little cost.  Everything was super nice, and many of the things I purchased were silk, handmade in Trichy!  Trichy is well known for its fabric, so I stocked up on some nice pieces.  After the markets, we went to the Rockfort temple.  I could just envision the Brahmins of old walking around performing rituals and carving new gods and rooms.  Everything was carved out of this one huge rock.  It was, I think, over 700 steps to the top, and all of the steps were hand carved from the stone.  The bottom half of the stairs were carved tunnel-style up through this mountain-rock, with the second part exposed to the open air.  When we reached the top, we could see all of Trichy: the sprawling, random, haphazard collections and tangles of buildings and bustling people.  It was HUGE.  Trichy is a small city here, which is crazy considering I could get lost in just one market with all the tiny side streets with people and shops packed into every crevice.  We were barefoot and the rock was so hot that they spread mats every few steps to rest your feet for half a second as you climbed.  The temple is still functioning today.  At the top, there was a cage-like room where you could circle the outer part to look over the city with the inner part being carved from rock where priests were doings religious things.  Some parts were restricted from non-Hindus (the only signs in English were the ones saying “Non-Hindus not permitted”).  In ancient times, though the working classes and lower classes did the more grueling labor, I can imagine that these Brahmins had massive thighs with all of the climbing to do in this temple.  They sold refreshments all over the place, I assume because older people or people there for the day to worship need some sustenance.   I also found out that one of those tiny bananas here is $0.03 (and delicious) and mangoes are $0.07.  I felt bad to turn down the beggars as they watched me eating my bananas, but I did not want to get swarmed as these beggars collect around the entrance of the temple.  It was so wild in the markets with deals and traffic going on everywhere in all but a few feet of space. On the way out, a parade of people with faces painted white and everyone with drums came pounding on through.  Back at the international hostel, we said goodbye to our student-guides Krishna and John. 



Random family who wanted a pic

Trichy, atop Rockfort

The top 100 stairs




Statues atop Rockfort

Our guides Krishna and John

Later that day, after a bit of rest and freshening up, Jess and I headed out to the wedding of Dr. Relton ‘s (our director/advisor here at BHC) son Alan and his bride Glenny.  We got to see the singing and prayers for Glenny before the wedding.  When seated in the chapel, we watched 20 bridegrooms and bridesmaids flow down to the front when the ceremony began.  Glenny then marched down to the front, with a beautiful dress and an imported veil with hundreds of butterflies pinned down her back trailing five feet behind.  The ceremony was a mixture of choir singing, prayers, a sermon, and the singing of the whole church. They exchanged rings yesterday in another ceremony (this is normally done six months before the wedding, but all of the people who had to fly in from other countries could not attend both, so it was the day before).  Today, they exchanged three knots that symbolize the never-breaking bond formed between Alan, Glenny, and their families.  At one point in the ceremony, the traditional band randomly burst out in song.  Everyone else was expecting this, but it certainly surprised me.  This was a blended wedding where some things were traditional, like the food, band, and the four golden necklaces they hung around Glenny’s forehead, while other things were modern, like the Christian prayers and hymns and the calm nature of the evening (Hindu marriages are much crazier, apparently).  After their outburst, the ceremony proceeded until close.  We then had refreshments (including some cotton candy, hand-squeezed grape juice, and coffee) and watched the sunset before going on to the reception.  During this, Alan and Glenny sat in front of hundreds while their praises were sung and their relatives introduced.  After this, Alan gave a hilarious and sweet speech (which was the only thing in English) thanking his relatives, Glenny’s relatives for allowing him to marry her, and Glenny herself.  He thanked his parents for supporting him for so long and not becoming fed up and kicking him out.  He then said how he will love Glenny forever and will always do what she commands him to do.  Hundreds of people lined up to give Alan and Glenny wedding presents individually.  During this, a professional music video was played staring Alan and Glenny to a Taylor Swift song describing a fling she was having with some boy, which I think is a super strange pick after a wedding; however, the music video was actually really nice, with some awesome effects that must have been expensive.  I found out the wedding cost ten lakhs, or one million rupees ($15,000, which is super expensive for here when factoring in food for thousands, so many decorative lights and cloths, the two dresses Glenny wore, and all of the other ceremonial items).    After this was dinner, though Alan and Glenny remained in the reception hall FOREVER doing more wedding things while we all ate.  If I were Alan, I might never smile for a picture again.  Dinner was cooked in these huge traditional cauldrons called deksha that rice had to be shoveled out of.  Dinner was rice and veggies with sambar, curd rice, goat, and some kind of weird spicy apple sauce with what I think were tamarinds.  Dessert was Arun ice cream, which is huge here; I see it everywhere.  We also got to experience eating with our hands, since no silverware was offered.  I actually enjoyed this very much.  I eat with my hands more than normal Americans anyways, so this was super fun.  There is just something satisfying in a primal sense to eat rice, curd, and meat like this; you should try it!  After the wedding, I headed back to the hostel.

The chapel for the wedding

Alan and Glenny!

Imported butterfly veil


Cutting the cake


Men serving from a deksha



One last note: it will be difficult to come back to the US and not be treated like kings.  Our guides carry our bags for us, random people want to take pictures with us, everyone always gets up to offer me a seat and invites me to their home, people make me food, and they crowd me to ask me questions about my personal life.  Sometimes this is annoying, but I cannot say I do not sometimes enjoy it.  I have it easier as a man, though, because though I get crowded and stared at,  Jess is more liable to it.  Many people want to take pictures with just her, which is fine by me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment